“How many ways of serving bananas (other than eating them raw) that you know?”
I posted this question few weeks ago on my Facebook. I needed to get ideas of banana dishes as I had 7 banana (it’s 6 now) trees fruiting (is that even a word?). I even jokingly said probably I should get myself a pet monkey. That was before I heard a story from an older resident about a (wild) monkey that used to live in this compound, but then the guards captured and ate it.
Of course I knew the basic banana recipes; banana cake, banana (and chocolate chip) muffin, banana ice cream & fried banana. Still, I figured with the kind of supply that I had, more ideas were welcome.
Finally today, we chopped one bunch and unfortunately we were a week too late. Then my Mom told me this recipe called (in our mother tongue) Godog Godog. It’s basically fried mashed banana.
- 10 over-riped bananas
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbs sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- cooking oil for frying
- 1/4 cup powder sugar (optional)
- Mash all bananas, then add sugar and salt
- Add egg and flour, folding it using wooden spoon until all mixed well
- Prepare a wok with cooking oil, set the stove medium heat
- With a spoon, take a spoonful of the mixture and fry it in hot oil until golden brown
- Serve with powder sugar
- This is not (by all mean) a type of gourmet food, so have fun with it and It’s okay if your mash is lumpy.
- You can substitute powder sugar with basically anything (maple syrup, chocolate syrup, grated cheese, condensed milk), or you can omit it all together.